Part 10 – The Habit of Confidence
1 John 2:28 (KJV)
28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.
· Look at this verse – confidence is spiritual – it comes from abiding in Him.
· DEFINITION: – ‘confidence’ –
o Has in it the idea of being free and fearless confidence,
o cheerful courage,
o assurance – according to Thayer’s (NT:3954)
o It also means a belief that you are able and capable of doing whatever needs to be done
o Confidence denotes trust in something or someone.
– It involves a high degree of certainty and faith, often in a person, to act in accordance with our expectations or hopes. We can have confidence in God and in our standing with him.
· A confident person is a person that is
o Has Conviction
o Has Trust and faith
· The opposite of confidence or a person who lacks confidence exhibits these traits…
– These are traits of person who is not confident.
· A confident person thinks that he can accomplish a thing.
· ILLUSTRATION: The little engine that could.
· As the story goes there is an engine that is hauling toys and presents and needs to get over a mountain hill top but it breaks down. The toys need help, they’ve got to get over the mountain top. The toys cry to three different trains that go by all of which have various excuses why they can’t take the toys over the mountain. Finally a little blue engine comes by and is finally convinced that he can take the load over the mountaintop.
And he starts up the mountain saying, “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.
And you know he makes it over the mountain. Do you know why? Because he thinks that he can. On the way down the other side of the mountain, the little blue engine says, “I thought I could, I thought I could….”
· Developing confidence in tomorrow means getting up in the morning and saying, “You know I’ve never faced what I’m going to face today
o …but I think I can.”
· We need to develop a ‘can do’ attitude. Do you know what a ‘can do’ attitude is? It is a person who believes Phil 4:13 is true.
Philiipians 4:13 (KJV)
13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Philippians 4:13 (AMP)
13 I have strength for all things in Christ Who empowers me [I am ready for anything and equal to anything through Him Who infuses inner strength into me; I am self-sufficient in Christ’s sufficiency].
· A confident outlook has nothing to do with your
o Bank account size
o People think if I can have these things, it will lead to confidence
§ Understand that many rich, many popular, and many (quote unquote) beautiful people commit suicide all the time.
§ ILLUSTRATION: Joan Rivers husband Edgar who committed suicide in a Philadelphia hotel room. All the success words are there to describe this man: rich, successful, beautiful wife and daughter.
§ Hopelessness is the opposite of confidence. There are many hopeless people on planet earth. People that don’t think that they can. People that have no confidence in tomorrow.
· We need to develop a confidence in tomorrow. A confidence that makes us:
o glad to be alive on planet earth.
§ There are Christians that are so depressed that they can’t wait to go to heaven just so that they can get out of the mess that they are in here on planet earth.
o You don’t want to go to your grave a grippy, tired, frustrated old person.
§ ILLUSTRATION: Moses & Caleb.
§ Moses went out at 120 years with perfect vision and full body function. Full of life. Caleb at 85 went to war and conquered a great enemy.
§ How did Caleb go out with such great confidence? How did they develop confidence in tomorrow? They did it by knowing several things.
GOD IS A GOOD GOD
· You Can’t Blame God
o Sounds simplistic but there are people that blame God for the bad things in life. They think that God is against them or that God is trying to hurt them.
§ People blame God for:
· The death of loved ones (the most common)
· Martha did this at the tomb of Lazarus – Jn. 11:21
· Lost opportunities
· Unanswered prayers
o God is not the author of bad things.
o It’s hard for you to have confidence in tomorrow if you think when you wake up in the morning that God is against you. That he is going to cause bad things to happen to you.
o The truth is God is trying desperately to get good things to come your way and to keep bad stuff from happening to you.
§ ILLUSTRATION: A British train was carrying Queen Victoria was speeding into the darkness of night. Suddenly the engineer saw a startling sight. On the tracks he thought he saw, in his headlight, a weird figure in a black cloak waving his arms. The engineer grabbed for the brakes and the train came to a screeching halt. When they got out to take a look they could not find the man that waved his hands. What they did find to their horror was that a few yards away from where they were there was a bridge that had washed out. Had they not have stopped when they stopped they would all have been killed. They looked for the man that they had flagged them down and could not find him. What they did find was a huge moth laying dead on the tracks. What the moth had done was get into the headlights of the train. It looked like a man flagging down the train.
Now ask yourself the question, who sent that moth at the precise time to keep that train from going over the bridge?
o Get the job descriptions straight. Good things come from God and bad things come from the devil.
James 1:17 NLT
17 Whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God…
· If it’s not good, it’s not God.
o Confidence comes from knowing that God loves you, that God accepts you, and that God approves of you.
o Confidence comes from knowing you are not alone and knowing that you are able.
· And this confidence can be stated scripturally in three ways.
o God is for us
Romans 8:31 (AMP)
31 What then shall we say to [all] this? If God is for us, who [can be] against us? [Who can be our foe, if God is on our side?]
o God is in us
o God is with us. (2Cor. 6:16 echoes both parts)
2 Corinthians 6:16 (AMP)
16 What agreement [can there be between] a temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in and with and among them and will walk in and with and among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.
o you are never alone
o Ps. 139:7-10 expresses these thoughts this way
Psalm 139:7–10 (AMP)
7 Where could I go from Your Spirit? Or where could I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend up into heaven, You are there; if I make my bed in Sheol (the place of the dead), behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning or dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 10 Even there shall Your hand lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me.
o Jesus chimed in on this thought also.
Matthew 28:20 (AMP)
20 Teaching them to observe everything that I have commanded you, and behold, I am with you all the days (perpetually, uniformly, and on every occasion), to the [very] close and consummation of the age. Amen (so let it be).
o You can have confidence in God because you know you are never alone.
o So, the first reason I can have confidence is because I know – God is a good God.
A GOOD GOD HAS A GOOD PLAN FOR YOUR LIFE
Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)
11 For I know the plans that I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
o What does that mean ‘God has a plan for me’?
§ He thought about me.
§ It means that I was created with a definite purpose in mind.
§ It means that I am not an accident. I was created on purpose by God for a specific reason.
§ Understanding why you here on planet helps you have confidence and helps you look expectantly towards tomorrow.
o Some ‘plan of God’ facts
o One minister said this…The greatest tragedy in life is not dying but living without a reason.
o To live outside the borders of God’s plan leads to nothing more than:
o Without God’s plan all you will do is be tossed around by:
§ Ignorant people
· These people will waste your time and energy accomplishing nothing leaving you unfulfilled.
o Your existence means that here is something about your life that this generation needs.
Acts 13:36 (ESV)
36 For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation, fell asleep and was laid with his fathers and saw corruption,
o You are desperately needed by God to impart your part of the plan into this earth because He only works through the hands of men.
o You are the missing piece to someone’s puzzle.
o Here is the third part to confidence, not only is God a good God with a good plan for your life… but you must also realize…
IT TAKES A GOOD MAN TO DO A GOOD PLAN
· You can have confidence because God has confidence in you
o The very fact that there is a plan for your life means that God has confidence in you to carry it out.
o He thinks you’re the right man for the job.
· If God has confidence in you, you can have confidence in tomorrow. You can have confidence in yourself!
· If you don’t believe that God likes you and has confidence in you just look in the Bible at some of the words that he uses to describe you.
· God is not a double tongued person – saying one thing but meaning something else.
· This is what God says you are:
o Romans 8:37 – your more than a conqueror
Romans 8:37 (ESV)
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.
§ God thinks you’re a great warrior
o Revelation 1:5-6 – kings and priests
Revelation 1:5–6 (ESV)
5 and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood 6 and made us a kingdom, priests to his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.
§ God thinks you’re royalty
o 1 Peter 2:9 – a chosen one
1 Peter 2:9 (ESV)
9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
§ God thinks your hot stuff!
o Romans 8:17 – a joint heir
Romans 8:17 (ESV)
17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.
§ God thinks that you are rich.
o If you were to present this case legally, in a court of law, what you have is an overwhelming plethora of information for the case of having confidence.
o People despite knowing this here (in their brain) still get down on themselves and lose confidence because…
§ Maybe they sinned.
§ Maybe they have missed God and veered off course
§ But even in these cases understand this startling truth.
· You have never sinned a sin in your life by yourself
o You have always had help sinning or missing God
o You have never done that alone.
· There is only one person who has ever sinned a sin alone – and that is Satan.
· Everyone else has had help.
· So, don’t get down on yourself – because you didn’t do it all by yourself!
o The truth is God thinks you’re a good man so get over yourself and agree with Him!
So we can develop confidence in tomorrow because we know…
· God is a good God.
· A good God has a good plan for my life.
· Because God thinks I’m a good man.